In India, for example, compulsory education spans over twelve years, with eight years of elementary education, five years of primary schooling and three years of upper primary schooling. Various states in the republic of India provide 12 years of compulsory school education based on a national curriculum framework designed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training. Our graduate degrees and professional education programs explore every facet of education, from pre-K through college, in school and after school, and across the human lifespan. A new vocational education pilot program is giving secondary school students a taste of working life and for some, like Wanniassa School’s Charlie Steer, it’s opening his eyes to new possibilities.
Around the world, children are deprived of education and learning for various reasons. Children living through economic fragility, political instability, conflict or natural disaster are more likely to be cut off from schooling – as are those with disabilities, or from ethnic minorities. In some countries, education opportunities for girls remain severely limited. Education refers to the discipline that is concerned with methods of teaching and learning in schools or school-like environments, as opposed to various nonformal and informal means of socialization.
The initiation “curriculum” does not usually include practical subjects. Instead, it consists of a whole set of cultural values, tribal religion, myths, philosophy, history, rituals, and other knowledge. Primitive people in some cultures regard the body of knowledge constituting the initiation curriculum as most essential to their tribal membership. Within this essential curriculum, religious instruction takes the most prominent place.
- TheMedia Centrecontains links to common media topics, other education agencies, the Beehive and useful links as well as new and archived media releases.
- Instructors in primary and secondary institutions are often called teachers, and they direct the education of students and might draw on many subjects like reading, writing, mathematics, science and history.
- A World Bank study found that “53 percent of children in low- and middle-income countries cannot read and understand a simple story by the end of primary school.” While schooling has increased rapidly over the last few decades, learning has not followed suit.
- In this general sense, it explores how teachers can bring about experiences in learners to advance their understanding of the studied topic and how the learning itself takes place.
- For the subfield of formal epistemology and computer science, see Formal learning theory.
The Aztecs also had a well-developed theory about Education News, which has an equivalent word in Nahuatl called tlacahuapahualiztli. It means “the art of raising or educating a person”, or “the art of strengthening or bringing up men”. This was a broad conceptualization of education, which prescribed that it begins at home, supported by formal schooling, and reinforced by community living.
Main menu (mob)
We mined our collection of student projects—the world’s largest collection of quality student work—for projects that kids can do at home. Online resources for schools, parents/caregivers and learners to support learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. In countries affected by emergencies, children lose their loved ones and homes.
A Second Chance at Education in Timor-Leste
Benchmarks set out the national standards expected within each curriculum area at each level. Related to this sense, education refers to the specific level or type of instruction a person has received. The act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession. The act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. Property, procurement and school transport This directory page provides links and resources regarding a range of property and transport matters that apply to schools. The Fentanyl Response Communications Toolkit provides communications resources to school systems to educate their communities on the growing dangers of fentanyl.